Answer all the questions in the prompt, and read any resources that are required to complete the discussion properly. News Media and Bias The media we consume affects us, but we also affect it. Most people think that they perceive truth objectively, as it is. However, we all see things from a point of view and people tend to seek news media that supports their points of view. This can serve to further entrench us in a more narrow way of looking at things while at the same time making us feel more certain that our point of view is objective and neutral. We also learned in Chapter 8 that people have biases (such as the confirmation bias) that make it hard for them to embrace ideas that contradict with their own points of view. This week’s discussion seeks to explore how we can free ourselves from these tendencies. For your initial response (1 post, due by Thursday): Prepare: Read Section 8.3 in the course text on “Media and Mediated Information,” as well as Section 8.1, paying special attention to the section about confirmation bias. Then watch the Critical Thinking on LIVING SMART with Patricia Gras (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. video about the relationship between media and ideology.Reflect: Think about the ways in which people consume news media that supports their own points of view. Consider what we might do to learn to think more objectively and see things from multiple points of view.Write: Express your thoughts on the following questions: To what degree and in what ways are people manipulated by the news media that they consume? Make sure to give specific examples. What types of consequences can follow from people having more choices of what news media they can consume? Do we control our news media or does it control us? What can people do to break free from media hypnosis and have broader, more objective points of view? In what ways might we strive to overcome confirmation bias? Address anything else that you find relevant and interesting in the chapter and video.Responding to your peers (3 posts, due by Monday): Post a minimum of three responses, two of which must be to your classmates. The third response could be to a classmate or your instructor.Be sure to post on three separate days throughout the week to promote further engagement and discussion. Each response should be a minimum 75 of words. For example, you might discuss other similar areas in which you have noticed the news media creating or responding to bias. You might comment on to what degree we control our news media and to what degree it controls us. You might comment on the example they have chosen and contribute to the points they are making. You might comment further on the value of consuming a wide variety of high quality of media sources.
We offer the best custom paper writing services. We have done this question before, we can also do it for you.
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How It Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.